Saturday, July 30, 2011

Writing Day

Unfortunately, I haven't written anything great recently, but I did this for Leigh!
It had to be 500 words, and had to include the words: mammoth, clutch, and pineapple! Success!

“Come on, Sassy, hurry up!” I yelled, turning around and watching her gallop toward me like she always does. She looks like a horse, but she insists that it’s a mammoth. Little kids, they think the strangest things.

“Coming!” she yelled back.

Out of breath, Sassy whispered, “Where are we going next?”

“You’ll see,” I replied, attempting to stifle a grin. I had the best surprise for her. We were going to a mammoth museum!

As Sassy and I started walking away from the beach house, a woman ran up to us with a huge pineapple. “You like to try one, yes? Oh, so yummy! Try the pineapple!” Sassy and I looked at each other and shrugged. Sassy grabbed the pineapple out of her hands and we sprinted down the red brick road seven whole blocks. I suddenly stopped when I saw the address of the museum. We both turned to face the building. It was an old, dilapidated apartment, which, I’ll admit, made me a little nervous. But I couldn’t keep this chance from Sassy.  She always wanted to see actual mammoths, dead or alive.

I pulled the tickets out of my blue silk clutch and showed her. Her jaw dropped and so did the pineapple, right to the floor. It burst open and chunks of sweet pineapple splattered everywhere. Sassy and I started laughing and ran inside the scary building.

Inside, it was pitch black and we couldn’t see anything. We didn’t hear anything, either. Suddenly from behind us, someone eerily whispered, “You girls got tickets?”

“Ahhhh!” Sassy screamed and I’ll confess, my heart skipped a few beats, too.

I slowly handed the invisible man the tickets and I felt the strange man’s bony fingers wrap around mine, grasp the tickets, and then let go. “Welcome,” the man whispered, flicking a switch. Creepy organ music started playing and he handed us a lantern, with a single flickering glow. “Follow me,” another man said, walking up to us. This one had a long beard that hung down to the floor.

“Gross,” Sassy whispered in to my ear.

“What was that, young lady?” The other man whispered fiercely to Sassy, wrapping his disgusting hand around her throat. I gasped. Please don’t kill Sassy, I though, nervously, holding my breath. Get out of this alive!

“Now come on!” a kind woman growled behind us, “Let ‘em see the museum.” Both men backed away and we hurriedly walked over to the first display.

“Wow!” Sassy said, surprised. In front of us, stood a huge mammoth.

I read the description out loud. “Weighing nine hundred pounds and standing six feet tall, this mammoth, Sassy, was the last mammoth to be killed. But the mammoth has been known to come alive and eat all the people named Sassy that come into this museum. I would watch out if I were you.”

“Wow! The mammoth has my name!” I gulped. Uh-oh.

Suddenly, the mammoth’s head turned. “Hello, Sassy.” It growled, stretching its mouth open wide.

So what do you think?
Shelby

No comments: